How to Get an Official Skill Rating
There are two ways to obtain an Official USAPA Rating.
If you have never played in a tournament or it has been longer than 3 years since you played, you can obtain an official USAPA Self-Rating by following these steps:
- Be a member in good standing or join the USAPA if you are not a member! Click here to join!
- Review the skill level definitions on the IFP website and determine your 2-digit skill level
- Email a request to be self-rated at your determined skill level to ratingsadmin@USAPA.org, along with a letter of support from one of the following people familiar with your game:
- an experienced USAPA Tournament Rated Player
- a USAPA Tournament Director
- a USAPA Ambassador
- During the Player Review Phase of the USAPA Tournament Player Rating introduction, if you have participated in a tournament that used PickleballTournaments.com, please indicate that in your email request. If you feel it is accurate, we may use that as the foundation for your legacy rating.
- Upon receipt of the request, the Ratings Administrator will review your request, document the support letter and make a decision, and will inform you via email of the decision.
- This rating then becomes an “S” rating in the USAPA ratings file and will be the foundation for the T rating if the player participates in tournaments. If the player does not participate in a tournament, the rating will remain an S rating and will not update.
Note: Beginning January 22, 2019 the above process will be eliminated. Players will be able to bypass this process and simply add their self-rating on their PT.com profile. USAPA strongly encourages members to seek self-ratings guidance from experienced USAPA tournament-rated players, USAPA tournament directors and USAPA ambassadors.
Automatic Tournament Rating
Once you have played in a tournament that used pickleballtournaments.com, the official sanctioned tournament software of the USAPA, your ratings will begin to adjust automatically based on tournament results. Your self rating will then become an official USAPA Tournament Player Rating (UTPR). Players will have separate USAPA Tournament Player Ratings for each event category played including: men’s singles, women’s singles, men’s doubles, women’s doubles and mixed doubles.
For more information on how the USAPA Tournament Pickleball Rating is calculated click here.