Basics – Overhead Smash
- A hard, overhand shot directed downward into the opponent’s court, usually as a return of an opponent’s lob, high return, or high bounce.
- The paddle is extended over the head at maximum height with elbow straight.
- Aim at an open spot on the opponent’s court or at the feet of an opponent, not at the body.
- Never back up to position for an overhead. Shuffle sideways or turn around and run into position. Backpedaling is a dangerous maneuver.
- Look up and point toward the ball with non-paddle hand.
- Contact the ball as high as possible and in front of you, shifting weight from the back foot to the front foot as the ball is contacted with a downward swing and often a wrist flex (snap).
- The backhand overhead smash may require flexing the wrist backwards.
Click here for Third Shot Sports, Mark Renneson
f: Drop Shots